Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System
Gulf Coast VA celebrates National Veterans and Military Families Month 2018
November 1, 2018
BILOXI, Miss. — Yesterday evening, President Donald Trump declared November 2018 the second annual National Veterans and Military Families Month to “salute the brave and dedicated patriots who have worn the uniform of the United States, and…celebrate the extraordinary military families whose selfless service and sacrifice make our military the finest in the world.”
Beginning in 2017, President Trump proclaimed November Veterans and Military Families Month, marking the first time America celebrated Veterans and military families for the entire month and not just on Veterans Day, in keeping with the President’s strong focus on improving care and benefits to our nation’s heroes.
That tradition continues again this year with more than 300 events at VA hospitals, benefits offices and cemeteries across the country, including:
- senior leader visits to VA facilities
- open houses
- town halls
- benefits claims clinics
- volunteer recognitions
- homeless Veteran initiative events
- suicide prevention events
- faith-based community events
- flag planting tributes at national cemeteries
To celebrate Veterans and Military Families Month locally, the Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System will hold the following events honoring Veterans and their families throughout the month of November:
- Nov. 6 – Pensacola Ice Flyers minor league hockey team meet and greet visit with Veterans, Joint Ambulatory Care Center, Pensacola, Fla.
- Nov. 9 -- Veterans Day program and fish fry event for Biloxi VA Medical Center inpatients
- Nov. 9 – Acceptance of a large donation of food from the Memorial Hospital in Gulfport, Miss., for the Biloxi VAMC homeless Veteran population food pantry
- Nov. 14 – Knights of Columbus serving refreshments to JACC patients
- Nov. 19 – Elks Lodge serving morning refreshments to JACC patients
- Nov. 20 – American Legion Post 240 serving morning refreshments to JACC patients
This year’s celebration of Veterans and Military Families Month caps an unprecedented period of improvement for VA, as the department has made groundbreaking progress over the last two years in the areas of accountability, transparency and efficiency across the department while enjoying an important series of legislative successes.
“At VA, Veterans and their families are at the center of everything we do. Veterans and Military Families Month is an opportunity for us to honor the service of these patriots while educating communities about VA benefits and services and our commitment to customer service improvement,” VA Secretary Robert Wilkie said.
“Along the Gulf Coast, we enjoy having the honor of supporting multiple military and Veteran-centric communities here,” Bryan C. Matthews, GCVHCS director, said. “The Department of Defense has a large presence in the Gulf Coast region, so the communities we serve are often eager and ready to support efforts to honor our military and Veteran families all year long.”
The full list of national events for Veterans and Military Families month is available at this link.