Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System
Medical Foster Home program
What is a Medical Foster Home?
- An affordable option for long-term care. Cost per month is based on the care needs and income of the Veteran.
- A safe and caring home in the community where the Veteran receives 24-hour care and supervision in a family setting.
- Medical care within the home provided by the Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) team.
- Veterans who are unable to safely live independently due to functional, cognitive, or psychosocial impairment.
- Veterans who prefer a non-institutional setting for their long-term care, but do not need nursing home or hospital care if a Medical Foster Home (MFH) is available.
- Veterans who have financial resources to pay the cost of care. The financial agreement is between the caregiver and the Veteran and/or Veteran’s family and/or legal representative.
Caregiver and Home Requirements
- Caregiver must be at least 21 years old, financially stable, and have some formal or informal caregiving experience.
- Caregiver must be willing to accept and follow the Veteran’s treatment plan and meet all training requirements.
- The home must be owned or rented by the caregiver, and must be the caregiver’s primary residence.
- Home must have first-floor bedrooms, including caregiver’s, and first-floor bath.
- The home must be designed, equipped, and maintained to provide a home-like environment, as well as safety and supervision for the MFH Veteran.
- Residences are limited to no more than three Veterans.
Watch the American Veteran video.
To learn more about the Medical Foster Home Program, please contact a Medical Foster Home Coordinators:
Linda Sue Kelley, LCSW
400 Veterans Avenue
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 523-4664 Office
(228) 243-7146 Cell
Kelly Estle, LCSW, DCSW
1504 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, AL 36604
(251) 219-3968 office
(251) 241-5597 cell
Cindy Bradford, LCSW
790 Veterans Way
Pensacola, FL 32507
(850) 912-2297 office
(850) 293-9859 cell
Individuals interested in becoming a caregiver are also encouraged to call.
- 800-296-8872 Ext. 34664
- 866-927-1420 Ext. 32297
Hours of Operation
Biloxi 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
JACC 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.